Local, Regional and International
Christ Church supports a number of organizations financially and through volunteers donating their time and talents:
- International Needs Network Uganda – sponsored child
- Gate 3:16, a drop-in centre in downtown Oshawa
- Lakeridge Health Chaplaincy Services
- Luke’s Place, a support organization for women and children in Oshawa
- Simcoe Hall Settlement House food bank
- Cornerstone Men’s Hostel
- Primate’s World Relief & Development Fund
- Wycliffe Theological College in Toronto
- Meals on Wheels
- St. Vincent’s Kitchen
In 2006, in addition to the traditional organizations that we have supported in the past, our church raised $4,500 to build three homes in Guatemala.
In 2007 we raised almost $8000 to help build 3 new classrooms at an orphanage in Swaziland that takes care of kids orphaned by AIDS
In 2010 we raised over $4000 to help provide staff housing for a school we partner with in Uganda, and over $3,000 for kids at a local school to receive a weekly serving of milk.
For several years packages were created for our young people who were away at university. Each package included home baked goods, Tim Hortons coupons and encouragements to get through the exams.
As the weather turns cold leading up to Christmas, we set up our Christmas Tree in the Upper Hall. Parishioners decorate this tree with mittens and hats which are donated to needy children within our community. This year we donated two huge garbage bags full of knitted treasures to local charities.
Each month gifts of food are collected for Settlement House, one of our local food banks. At Christmas we also collect toys for this organization.